Align your career with your personality!May 12, 2023
For years I could not figure out why I had these amazing jobs working with the United Nations but did not feel happy about doing them. Turned out that once I understood my MBTI personality profile deeply enough, I had this yearning desire for freedom and to make contributions to people around me….
This was likely why I was working for the UN in the first place… making contributions to the people around me… However, I experienced the bureaucracy as “restrictive,” with a huge structure of one boss above yet another boss, and one above that.. and literally killing my creativity and freedom.
Important lesson: Align your job with your personality! For me, it was a mismatch.
Five tips here to align your personality with your job:
1. Identify the strengths and weaknesses of your personality: I took an MBTI personality assessment and started to understand my strengths and weaknesses in-depth. This can help you choose a job that is aligned with your personality. If you are someone who is outgoing and enjoys interacting with people, then a career in sales or marketing may be a good fit for you. Yet, if you are more introverted, then you will be better off going deep into a specialization, which is great for thought leaders, researchers and knowledge managers.
2. Set clear goals: Having clear goals can help you align your personality with your job. If you want a career that allows you to be creative and express your ideas, then pursuing a job in design, writing or advertising, the arts, journalism, and communications may be a good choice for you.
3. Understand the company culture: It's essential to understand the culture of the company or organization where you work. If the culture does not align with your personality, it might be difficult to be happy in your job.
4. Build a professional network: Having a professional network can be helpful in finding a job that aligns with your personality. Networking can help you connect with people who have similar interests and can provide you with job opportunities.
5. Work with a coach on your professional development: Professional development can help you to develop your understanding of your personality, as well as your skills and knowledge in your field. Both are needed to align your personality with your job. Aligning your personality and your work will make you feel like a fish in the water. Work will no longer feel like work but rather as something that makes you thrive. It can lead to promotions and help you to achieve your career goals.
If any of the above resonates with you, and if you want to just have a chat about this, feel free to reach out.
If you like to learn more about team coaching and team assessment, then kindly get in touch with QOEN Coaching & Consulting through clicking on the button below.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.